To proceed with your renovation plans during the MCO period, opt for contactless consultations, and move your meetings online.
4 Smart Tips For a Clutter-Free and Efficient Kitchen
Don’t underestimate the power of a highly-functional and inviting kitchen. If you are able to make full use of your kitchen, then you are less likely to eat out as much, and as a result, may even save more money by preparing your own, healthier meals.
Interior Firm: IQI Concept Interior Design & Renovation
Moreover, if you have a family, an optimised kitchen is a must — not only for cooking but also to bond. If the idea of cooking in your kitchen invokes images of tedium and drudgery, then you might want to follow these handy tips to improve its functionality and appearance.
1. Manage waste and organise
A functional kitchen is a clean kitchen! To make it easier to clean and maintain, you’ll need to have an effective waste management system in place. Start by installing proper disposal sources like bins (consider hidden built-ins for a tidy appearance) in strategic areas like near the sink or near the prep stations.
Interior Firm: Sky Creation
Next, ensure that everything has its place and within easy reach. Do this by organising and assigning all accessories and utensils in a suitable designated spot. Use clever tools like drawer organisers, cutlery trays, pot racks, magnetic knife racks, and spice jar towers or carousels to keep them in order.
2. Free up counter space
Counter space represents precious real estate in the kitchen, so choose to only display your kitchenware by frequency of use. For example, place coffee/tea-making necessities like a coffee maker and canisters (of sugar, coffee, and tea), as well as quick clean-up gear like paper towels and kitchen cloths on an easy to reach area. Keep other items in hidden area like in the cabinets to avoid kitchen clutter.
Interior Firm: X Two Concept
3. Get more storage
Speaking of storage…If you're lacking in kitchen storage space, it's time to remodel your home with this space-saving solutions. Your options mainly depend on the size and layout of your kitchen. Smaller spaces may require more creative solutions like concealed storage, floating shelves, magnetic racks (for side of fridge) customised built-ins that take advantage of odd spaces, and pantry pull-outs, as well as adding shelves with stemware holders to your backsplash.
Interior Firm: CK Concept
4. Maintain and update accessories
It’s usually the little things like shaky cabinet pulls and handles, stuck drawers, clogged sinks, and annoying over-splash from taps that decrease the functionality in a kitchen. Don’t be surprised at how such minor issues can even curb your enthusiasm to fully utilise your kitchen.
Interior Firm: Qube Design & Creater
Get over them by listing out all of your kitchen problems and take a weekend to fix them all at once.
Fix these common kitchen woes:
- Tighten or replace broken hardware.
- Apply lubricant or fit rollers or slides to deal with stuck drawers.
- Unclog your kitchen sink by carefully pouring boiling hot water down the drain. If this doesn't work, pour a half-cup of salt or equal portions of salt and baking soda (to remove build-up and grease) down your sink together with boiling water to clear it out. You can also try a similar concoction of baking soda and vinegar, followed by a hot water flush. If none of these natural remedies work — consider calling a plumber.
- There may be a number of reasons for water to splash from your faucet, e.g. a too-shallow sink basin, unsuitable faucet height, and heavy water pressure; but oftentimes, all you have to do is to replace the current aerator with an anti-splatter type. It’s the most economic and easiest solution, so do try this first before replacing your sinks and faucets, or adjusting the water pressure.
Most of these common kitchen problems can be solved as DIY projects with tons of resources available online. However, if you can’t manage it by yourself or require more extensive solutions for a functional, upgraded kitchen, just call for professional help!
Interior Firm: Zyon Studio Sdn. Bhd.
Planning to give your kitchen a complete overhaul?
Because the kitchen is the heart of your home, how it's designed matters. Find the right help for your kitchen makeover by requesting for a free quote today and we'll match you up with up to 5 reliable interior firms in Malaysia.
All recommendations made by Qanvast will be eligible for the opt-in Qanvast Guarantee, a free service that safeguards your renovation deposits up to RM50,000.