Written by Frank Cho on 23 Sep 2019
We came to know about Juz Interior from some friends and decided to get some input from an ID for our planned minor reno. But with each meeting, we became more and more comfortable working with George and Natasha as they shared some wonderful ideas on improving our home. They made good recommendations and were very transparent about the costs involved.
The actual reno was done efficiently and according to the planned timeline. Natasha was on-site and gave us regular updates on the progress when we were busy. She paid a lot of attention to details and was very accommodating when we had a few changes we wanted make to the materials we used.
Great experience and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to our friends!
Written by Essie Chin on 23 Sep 2019
We bought our Bishan maisonette with the intention to completely overhaul the unit, as well as adding one bedroom to the existing 3 bedroom layout. We knew we needed an ID with similar experience.
While at Qanvast, coincidentally we found Liid Studio who had completed a maisonette project at Bishan. It was not long before we set up a meeting with Hwee Li, the founder of Liid Studio, in early May 2018.
My requests were clear - I needed 4 bedrooms, my daughter's room will come with attached toilet and I wanted an open concept kitchen. This began our journey of numerous meetings typically from 7pm, lasting 4-5 hours each session! We have probably clocked at least 50 hours of intensive and detailed discussions before we finally agreed on the design plan and the agreed pricing for the place we will soon call home.
Renovation started in the middle of July, lasting a good 12 weeks! The only time we stepped into our unit during the renovation period was to decide the exact locations for all the sanitary wares! Prior to this time, all communications and last minute decisions were made via phone call or WhatsApp only! The next time we stepped into the unit was when Hwee Li was ready to handover the unit to us.
The point I wanted to emphasize was that we literally entrusted the entire renovation into Hwee Li's hands, fully confident that she will manage and oversee all that we have discussed and agreed upon. Throughout the renovation period, we did not visit our unit except to decide on sanitary ware locations!
Liid Studio, well, for us, simply Hwee Li, as they are synonymous, was truly a designer who considered all our needs, taking time to listen to each and every member of the family, including my three children's lifestyle, habits, likes and dislikes. What really helped was she did not ask us to choose our colors and textures from a myriad of hundreds of choices! Knowing our taste, plus her own professional vantage point of every detail, she made things a lot easier for us by short listing 3 preferred designs for us to select from. We were open to flow with her choices in many selections, trusting in her experience and design sense. I must say the actual outcome exceeded our expectations and we were glad we took her advice!
Hwee Li has an amazing memory of the projects she had done before, always picking up her phone with thousands of pictures sorted out by projects, to find the picture which could help us visualize what she had in mind for all the little nooks and corners for our home. Slowly but surely, we could begin to visualize how our future home will look like.
The design process was tiring but satisfying and even enriching for us. We liked the way every detail was documented meticulously and explained to us tirelessly. This was absolutely necessary to prevent gaps in our expectations. Whenever we forgot what was discussed, we could refer to her drawings, which were though not 3D but were exactly drawn out so all her contractors have a crystal clear plan to follow. It was a good 29-page document! This document helped us in our 'shopping' phase and was also an important tool for Hwee Li to communicate with all the different suppliers like lighting and flooring. She left no room for assumption. It was all clear and crisp.
Throughout the last 5 times of renovation through 5 different IDs we had engaged prior to this Bishan home, I must say Hwee Li excelled them all! Like us, our children loved having their friends over their new home. We were all proud to show off the home we loved.
We want to take this opportunity to thank Hwee Li and her team for their dedication and professionalism in handling our project.
See photos taken here: https://liid.sg/residential/detail
Written by Junling on 23 Sep 2019
We decided to engage them after seeing their professionalism compared to the other firms we went (all thru Qanvast). All was going well and in fact, faster than the schedule.
Subsequently we realised:
- some costs were not discussed/informed to us before we sign the contract e.g. the false ceiling which is a substantial amount and electrical works were more than we expected.
- overlooked that we asked to change all the windows, when we clearly stated we did not like the existing windows. Besides the condition of the original windows wasn't great.
- carpentry details were not thoughtful, the initial idea for the kitchen carpentry did not factor drawers at all to keep smaller items e.g. utensils. It was an easy way on their side to simply propose all cabinets.
- only gave us 1 design for saucer cabinet basket and we had to source on our own.
- not prompt in installing the temporary lights, which we also had to ask multiple times to be installed
- the air con pipings were not taken into consideration in the whole design phase, now we are stuck with unsightly piping around the house and had to pay for partition wall to hide some of them.
- We were surprised that they can't install the hood and hob as part of the whole renovation works. even the people from Harvey Norman advised us that normally this is done by ID.
- Bad advice on TV console measurement. Everything looked fine on drawing but when the end product is installed, the drawers were too shallow to be of any use. We ended up had to pay to redo it.
- Nix did not offer/propose us the option to re-plaster the whole house. As first time homeowners, we were not aware we could have this option for resale flat. After the false ceiling and lights were installed, we realised there are 2 different textures on the ceiling.
- 27 July: house was handed over as schedule but the condition of the house was below sub-par, it amazed us how could they handover is this state.
- we asked to meet the manager and because we asked to do so, they decided to stop all the rectification works without informing us. Even though we had arranged with Nix beforehand to be on site to receive a delivery, when the delivery was made, Nix simply told me to give the temporary passcode to the guy. We have valuables & furniture already in the house, who was going to be responsible for any damages or loss? This was simply irresponsible.
- The manager (Serene) met us and was defensive and rude to our parents. Quoted us exorbitantly for plastering. Emailed their CEO (Aaron) and he replied with a $500 goodwill discount…
- they told us to do up a list of all the things we want to rectify, and we did on 5 Aug and told them to use our own plaster contractor. no response until we sent a chaser on 7 Aug. At this point, we were informed that Serene will take over. Again, the lack of communication from them to us as clients. Gave them a deadline to get back to us with the rectification work schedule and they failed to do so. Serene only kept harping on the plastering, saying they can’t use 3rd party contractor they have not work with (fair enough, so we told them to forget about the plastering multiple times). Since Serene took over the project, her response was so slow, sometimes took a few days to reply or we have to send a few chasers. However, each time she finally replied, nothing it moving forward. All Serene did is to keep repeating herself that their rectification work will not include plastering.
- 13 Aug: They took the liberty to draft a letter, using both our full names and NRIC, indicating we will not proceed with wall and ceiling works and will not hold them responsible for external contractor and that we will pay the balance money. They refused to start any work until we sign the letter.
- because we refused to sign the letter, it went back and forth for 2 days and then total silence from them for 1 week despite our messages and emails.
- 22 Aug: finally got a response from them to arrange a meeting on site with the CEO.
- 27 Aug: met all 3 of them (Nix, Serene and Aaron) on site. We honestly thought it would be helpful, but they showed us another level of rudeness and the thorough lack of customer service and recovery.
- 29 Aug: again, we had to send a chaser for updates before they respond.
- 2 Sept: finally started rectification works with detailed updates from Nix, which we appreciated.
- 10 Sept: works supposed to be completed, we met on site to check and they had not completed all the works that they should. Nix asked for final payment, which we refused to since the work was not done.
- 11 Sept: Nix came back to us with a proposal for us to spend an entire day to see them work so that they can rectify anything on the same day. This is ridiculous as we have paid them to do their job, and now they want to waste our time and energy further to oversee them.
Workmanship: they claimed to have in-house contractors and carpenters, but the workmanship took me by surprise with the quality and hollowness in all the drawers. Mechanism on all the drawers not smooth at all, and we had to replace/fix them many times. As seen from photo, the painter did not even use enough paint to cover up the writings on the wall.
What was supposed to be completed by 27 July, was dragged on for the whole of August with no works, and finally completed on 16 Sept. The whole experience is a nightmare and mentally draining for us.
It's definitely a zero star experience if we could, in fact we strongly feel it is a negative experience.
Note: all photos here show the condition that they handover to us.
Written by Audrvy Tan on 23 Sep 2019
Started with browsing for few IDs on the webpage especially one that able to design for small unit with ample cabinet space.
Decided to engage Design 4 Space by targeting TPY branch which is the nearest to me. With no idea which designer to look for, I dropped an email to request for quotes at their website and few weeks later following by a call to them since no one responding to my inquiries.
By chance, the one whom picked up my call will be the one for my new house project and Kevin Thiam happens to be the "lucky" guy...hehehe...i sound off rather picky and demanding by prompting a few questions to interview him over phone before awarding him the project.
I can say Kevin is a young guy whom is full of patience, energy, fun loving, observant and comes up with different creative ideas to design our cosy and a different taste of home. I can say we have quite a lot of surprises in between to add this and that during the renovation phases. To add on, we also engage fengshui for our home so quite a few restrictions to follow plus the tight deadlines that were given to him.
I am glad that he is able to complete the project which meets most of the expectations that were tasked to him. If you are looking for some new taste new look out from the traditional, he is the one that can be recommended. Lastly, thanks to Design 4 Space whom put up a good portfolio at your website for consumers like us doing research and benchmarking.
Written by Corinne on 22 Sep 2019
We got to know Hwee Li of Liid Studio via Qanvast. Hwee Li spearheaded our house redesign and provided guidance on all our interior decor matters.
We are ecstatic about the results that Hwee Li achieved for us. It is true testament to her talent that relatives and friends who visited our renovated home are in awe of the transformation from what it was before. Her work is of impeccable quality and taste.
It was a pleasure working with Hwee Li. She is very detailed and spent a lot of time discussing with us to really understand our needs. Her focus on detail pushed us to think thoroughly what we wanted in our new home. The outcome was a very detailed renovation plan. Whilst the whole planning process was time consuming, it made the execution so seamless and organised and the renovation schedule went pretty much according to plan. Kudos to her project management skills!
We must also commend on Hwee Li’s expertise in space utilisation. The resale condo we bought unfortunately has very 'unique' layout and irregular shape – not the easiest to work with! Our biggest issue was re-model of the kitchen. We have spoken to few other designers prior meeting Hwee Li, who could not achieve what we wanted for our kitchen. Hwee Li worked tireless, listened and understood what we wanted, impressed upon us with proposal that could incorporate all that we wanted!
Needless to say, Hwee Li gained our trust and confidence. Having worked with her and completed the project, we find her honest and trust-worthy.
We would strongly recommend Hwee Li of Liid Studio to handle your interior designing project.
Written by Johnny Wijaya on 22 Sep 2019
We found Pei Gee from multiple good reviews she had on Qanvast. We decided to call Space Atelier and connected us with her. She is funtastic partner, very collaborative able to think out of the box to meet our needs and space constraints. Great sense of ownership and project oversight, our renovation is completed on time and very close to what we envisioned. We would recommend Peigee, and looking forward to engage her again the next time we renovate our home 👍😊
Written by caren on 21 Sep 2019
Notion of W was chosen as we know one of the designer in the firm.
Wein is able to help us troubleshoot and think of new ways to solve our issues. For example, we wanted a concealed door to the toilet in the Masters. Wein went through many brainstorming and solved challenges that was met along the way.
There were times where miscommunication happens and wein took it in his stride and try his best to rectify.
In his design, he also took into consideration durability and long term solutions. Such as knowing our storage requires to withstand certain weight, he made sure that the dividers are layered sufficiently to ensure that it does not bend over time.
When changes were last minute initiated, wein tried his best to see if he is able to improvise from the current situation.
In terms of after sales service, he will always attend to you whenever there is any issues. There was once my washing machine leaked and I thought it was slope design issue in the washing area. It turns out that my helper clogged up the drain. He came and found this but took it with grace. I was embarrassed. He kept within the budget of the project and managed to finish it according to what we wanted.
Written by aldrin on 21 Sep 2019
We shortlisted 3 IDs researched on Qanvast and decided on Charlotte's with no regrets. Although our budget and scope of work was not extensive, Rames provided impeccable service and insights to what was realistic and practical to our needs. On time and on budget, Rames delivered on the brief with expected workmanship and quality. He was always on call and a text away for queries and readily offered solutions.
Written by jasmond on 21 Sep 2019
We would like to specially thank Sufen for all her time and effort in renovating our new house.
After engaging Sufen as our ID, she has personally ensured our renovation works went smoothly despite our absence. Everything has met our expectation and we feel that she is someone whom we can depend on given our busy schedule.
Not to mention, Sufen has great aesthetics and colour sense, and she will always give us her best recommendations. Her expertise on various types of material & furniture have impressed us too, and she is able to list out their pros & cons to help us better understand what we really need.
She is indeed a patient person who never complain when clarifying all our doubts. She doesn't mind going an extra mile to find suitable furniture for our new house, and provide us with good advices.
Overall, we are happy and satisfied with her work and post-renovation services. She is someone whom we would highly recommended.
Written by Nick Ang on 21 Sep 2019
Diana and Jovin make an excellent team with Diana suggesting creative ideas to spice things up and Jovin handling the operations and giving timely reassuring updates with photos on the progress. We love that visitors would compliment the feature wall that hid our room doors very well. We also consulted Diana on the furniture that would go well with the decor.
Jovin managed the contractors well who were also very reliable and proffessional. Diana and Jovin were both very approachable and reliable. No cutting of corners or hard selling involved. Highly recommended as you get best of both worlds of good creative aesthetics as well as a peace of mind that your renovation is in very good hands.
Written by Dennis Tan on 21 Sep 2019
Selected Ascend Designs after meeting few IDs recommended by Qanvast,reason being the proposed design was close to what I have in mind plus some interesting elements added into it.
Myron Pang was the ID in charge of my project. He was professional,flexible with requests and able to throw up new ideas for discussion.
Myron is thorough with his planning and jobs allocation for the whole project management. He understands my tight timeline and the scale of work that he faced but he assured all could be completed.
Throughout the process,Myron gave timely updates and communication. He was also able to facilitate whatever requests and changes I have at any stage of the project.
Workmanship and service quality was of a high standard,he went beyond his job scope to make sure even the smallest details were taken care of. He was at site at times and even hands on with some of tasks.
In the end,the project was even completed ahead of schedule. All major works were nicely done with move in condition. Minor touchups were scheduled to finesse the project.
I would highly recommend Myron to anyone who needs a makeover to their place. Do not be fooled by his boyish looks,this guy is legit,he's dope! Most important,he delivers.
(Although the final price exceeds my initial budget,It was money well spent and justified. No regrets.)
Written by Cnythia Wong on 21 Sep 2019
My family and I would like to extend our gratitude especially to Eugene She for doing an excellent job as they have exceeded our expectations to make our dream home a reality.
He left us with 0 level of stress as he is very accommodating to our requests and always make himself readily available to respond to our concerns or queries.
What we like most about him is that, he is a good listener and he explains his solution very well. He listens to us, completely understands our needs and then he would propose a solution that is practical, reasonable and acceptable.
The service he provide is top-notch. He has also been very patient with us during our meetings as we were overwhelmed by the choices available, from our wall colour, laminates for our cabinets etc.
We would not hesitate to recommend any of my friends and families to him.
A big thank you for the job well done!
Interior Designer Reviews
When choosing an interior designer, we believe that doing your own research matters – and it’s the reason why we have compiled a comprehensive list of independent homeowner reviews from all over Singapore for your reference.
Our reviews are vetted and independently submitted by verified users, so you can be sure that they will help you make the right move in your renovation journey.
You can also make a more informed decision by checking out these useful resources and guides:
- Get a budget estimate with the Qanvast Renovation Calculator
- Read Renovation Journey Stories from Homeowners
- True Stories: How Hiring an ID helped these homeowners
- What to Expect When Engaging an Interior Designer
- What Local Homeowners Think About Renovation in Singapore
Hiring an interior designer, contractor or architect for the very first time? Keep an eye out for these key characteristics and details before choosing to work with a design firm and/or service:
Project portfolio – What type of projects has your designer completed to date? Are they a good fit for your needs?
Chemistry – Is your designer a good communicator? Are your interactions pleasant?
Quote – Are you comfortable with your designer’s quotation? How does it compare to similar projects?
Management style – Does your designer handle his work with care? Is he or she on the ball about his/her work?
Reviews and references – What do other clients and/or homeowners say about your chosen designer?