Featuring a limitless variety of furniture, home décor, accessories, appliances and more, online e-retailer Taobao has become a go-to source when shopping for all things home. Whether it’s the cool lighting fixtures that you want but just can’t seem to find in Singapore, one-of-a-kind handles and knobs that’ll complete your space, or affordable furnishings and accents straight out of Pinterest boards - Taobao has it all. Yes, the site is a treasure trove of stuff. But with so many home goods on offer, it can be overwhelming to shop on Taobao for a first-timer (even a frequent shopper)! So, to help you cut through the clutter and make the most out of your Taobao home shopping experience, here are some guides to check out:
- Before anything, read this guide about the pros and cons of shopping on Taobao – and find out whether the platform is right for your needs.
- Start your shopping journey with our curated list of Taobao home furnishing stores to hit for unique, not-so-basic goods.
Likewise, here are some areas to look out for a safer and smoother affair:
- Check the seller’s reputation rating: Based on buyers’ feedback, ratings consist of 4 levels – Heart, Diamond, Blue Crown and Gold Crown, with Gold Crown being the best. Shop with sellers with at least 1 ‘Diamond’ rating.
- Read reviews, especially the negative ones: It’s not only another great way to find out if a seller is reliable, but you can check out actual images of the products you wish to purchase on Taobao.
- Determine the shipping fee: Sometimes, shipment costs can be higher than the actual product price! Shipping fees are normally based on the item’s weight or volumetric weight, whichever is higher.
- Improper packaging: Damaged items are common, and they often don’t come with insurance. So, remember to inform sellers during your purchase to use wooden boxes and cushioning materials like bubble wrap for heavier or fragile items.