9 Ways To Create A Soothing Home
There is something about combining a pale colour palette and clean-cut interior design in a home that creates a wonderfully soothing environment – something our high-stress society needs more of. Being in a space that’s designed to relax also has the magical effect of pleasing the eyes, and calming minds.
These homes present nine different variations of this look, varying from Japanese-inspired minimalist spaces to more industrial-influenced homes.
1. Visually brighten and expand the common area with an open-plan layout that combines the living and dining areas, and keeps the kitchen visible yet separated through glass panels. The contrast of wood tones and jet black lends a modern and stylish edge to this family home too.
Interior designer: Posh Home
Location: The Sorrento
Cost of renovation: $55,000
2. Hints of textural industrial aesthetics, such as the raw brick wall, are used to break up the monotony of this clean and simple home. The different rooms are also kept mostly undecorated to allow each area to “breathe”.
Interior designer: Colourbox Interior
Location: Punggol Central
Cost of renovation: $45,000
3. Light wooden floors, even if it’s wood-look laminates, can immediately imbue a space with warmth and serenity. That, together with the extensive use of wooden furniture, makes this home irresistibly comforting. The use of darker wood floors for the bedroom also creates added cosiness.
Interior designer: 82
Cost of renovation: $30,000
4. Create a tranquil sanctuary to return to every day by restraining the home’s colour palette to creamy hues, which are not only calming but timeless as well. Keep the space looking inviting with fabric upholstered furniture, cushions, sheer curtains, and ambient lighting.
Interior designer: Prozfile
Cost of renovation: $30,000
5. With a design that’s ruled mainly by functionality, anything that doesn’t serve a purpose is irradiated from this home. Having storage compartments and doors that blend into the wall also adds to the home’s seamless minimalism. The result is a beautifully utilitarian Japanese-inspired apartment that enables its occupants to be still and enjoy the tranquility.
Architect: FOMA Architects
Location: Potong Pasir
Cost of renovation: $60,000
6. Clean-lined aesthetics when paired with a bold ceiling design and lush furnishings means you can get away with being creative without sacrificing tranquility.
Interior designer: Poetus
Location: Treasure Trove
Cost of renovation: $65,000
7. Greeted first and foremost with a kitchen island and barstools once you enter, this apartment invites anyone stepping through its door to take a seat, grab a drink, and relax. At this open concept common area, the living and dining areas seats are also in sight, making this home much more welcoming.
Interior Designer: Icon Interior
Location: Fernvale Street
Cost of renovation: $46,000
8. This home doesn’t shout luxe, but still manages to exude a glamour and elegance. It can be attributed to the well-curated furnishing designs, as well as refined accessories such as hurricane lamps, Scandinavian industrial lighting designs, and flowers.
Architect: 0932 Design Consultants
Location: Evelyn Condo
9. Designing family homes can be tough as individuals have different tastes. This home demonstrates how each space can have a different approach, yet still have a consistent look – the trick is by using the same colour palette throughout. Here, pastels, light browns and whites are used to soften the home’s look and allow the family to unwind.
Interior designer: Nextdoor ID
Location: The Luxurie
Cost of renovation: $25,000
Give Your Home A Total Makeover
Planning a home renovation is much easier with Qanvast. Take a peek into many Singapore home designs and save pictures to your mood boards. Six months before your key collection, you can send in your request and we will match you with 5 trusted interior firms for free!Download the free Qanvast app from the App Store or Google Play to browse and save home ideas, costings and even reviews of more than 200 designers on the go!