Landed Interior Design

It’s a whole different level out there when it comes to renovating landed properties like terraces, bungalows or villas. With a larger land space (or vertical area) coupled with the addition of a backyard, a garden, and sometimes a dedicated garage, landed homes definitely define the ‘more is more’ concept; a bigger volume of renovation works, wider scope for design, and definitely, a larger budget.

While some may be built by private property developers, others may be created entirely from scratch. Landed properties will often require the help of architects and interior designers with expertise in handling extensive structural works. On top of that, renovation guidelines also vary from condominiums and HDBs. Here are a list of rules to look out for:

  • You will need to check out URA’s Planning and Permission for Development and Building Works guidelines, which covers the different renovation works that do not require a permit. Do note that this does not apply to conservation buildings and central areas where specific guidelines are used.
  • For any other renovation works not listed in the Planning guidelines, you can apply via URA’s web page.
  • Otherwise, you can engage a Qualified Person (QP) - usually an architect or interior designer to help you apply for those approvals - so you don’t have to.

Designing for your landed property can often feel like working with a blank slate. Where do you even start? What style or design would you like your home to be shaped into? Check out these articles that’ll spark your creative juices.