Cosy and Inviting: That’s Why Urban Boho Homes Are Trending
It has all the boho hallmarks including rattan and macramé, but with new elements!
Typically, a bohemian home involves an eclectic mix of vintage pieces, many of which are bolder in colour, pattern and texture. Chances are, you’re well-acquainted with some of the more popular ones like rattan, macramé, and bright textiles. All these, when layered together, make for a really charming abode – one that’s cosier, with loads of personality.
What then is ‘urban boho’ and how different is it? This new variation takes all the hallmarks and combines them with contemporary décor/furniture. If that sets off warning bells in your head because it sounds “like a mishmash approach”, here are six homes to prove that yes, it actually works – and the results are pretty soothing to look at!
1. Veer away from traditional bold textiles! We recommend pairing your more subdued/vintage-inspired furnishings with jewel tones and graphic tiles. This home takes it one step further by introducing a pretty attention-grabbing neon sign that pops against a dark-coloured accent wall.
Interior Firm: Fuse Concept
2. If you rather not have such a busy look, keep to a tighter colour palette. In fact, it’s one of the popular go-to options for urban boho abodes. Natural wood pieces work well within such a space and brings just the right amount of texture into it. Throw in a couple of patterned tapestries and you’re good to go!
Interior Firm: Authors • Interior & Styling
3. You can even experiment with combinations! Juxtapose ethnic pieces with contemporary elements. Take cues from this home by pairing your on-trend leather sofa with Moroccan-inspired throw pillows. Then, play up the natural look with rattan chairs, get an antique bed and you’re all set!
Interior Firm: Fifth Avenue Interior
4. Don’t forget to go green. Work them into the niches and shelves of your wooden furniture to play up the natural look. For a more masculine take, consider swapping out boho graphic tiles for a concrete screed floor!
Interior Firm: Free Space Intent
5. In case your all-white palette feels a little bit cool, you can always warm it up with yellow lights. Bring out a softer side with rounded-edges in your furniture. Pair those with rattan chairs, and a woven rug for a cosier, lived-in look.
Interior Firm: Adroit ID
6. Aside from jewel tones and wallpapers, you can even make use of marble/stone-look accents. Place it in areas where you feel that a touch of elegance is needed like the kitchen, bedroom or bathroom. The key is not to use too much of it, keep it to a tiny slab or pick out neutral tones to make sure it doesn’t overwhelm the space!
Creating your personal retreat has never been this easy!
Simply tell us your renovation requirements and we can get you personalised renovation quotes from five local interior design firms for free!
Also, when you engage an interior firm through our free recommendation service, you’ll enjoy attractive perks, such as the Qanvast Guarantee – a free initiative that safeguards up to $50,000 of your renovation deposits.