Is This Interior Designer The Right One For Me?
Finding the right help to create a well-designed home is by no means an easy process, and things will only get harder especially if you are a new homeowner who is about to work with an interior designer for the very first time. Nonetheless, it is never too late to start learning how to assess these pros whom you will be entrusting your home’s future look to.
Interior Firm: Posh Home
Qualities To Look Out For Before Hiring An Interior Designer
There’s no denying that home renovations are detailed affairs because much preparation has to be done before the actual work begins. Not only does this involve finding out if your chosen designer has what it takes to bring your dream home to life, but also whether he or she is capable of doing so in a way that you are comfortable with.
Here are 6 common qualities (and questions) that homeowners should consider when choosing an interior designer:
- Is my designer able to work within my proposed budget?
- Does my designer propose ideas that are both interesting and practical?
Interior Firm: Weiken.com
- Does he or she respond to my messages in a timely manner?
- What do the reviews say? Do they portray a positive or negative image across the board?
- How did previous clients rate his or her quality of work?
- How long has my designer been in the line? Does he or she have the necessary skills (and licenses) to perform major renovation works like hacking and electrical installation?
Interior Firm: Happe Design Atelier
Is There Anything Else To Take Note Of?
Typically, homeowners will be on the lookout for practical qualities (such as those above) when hiring an interior designer, but that’s not all. These often overlooked, but equally important elements can similarly make or break your work relationship:
- Considering that the average renovation for a BTO flat takes about 8-10 weeks, this means that you will be working with your designer across an extended period of time. Having someone who you can communicate effectively with means spending less time on clarification and getting more work done.
Interior Firm: erstudio
- With so many things going on during a renovation, having a reliable partner by your side will mean worrying about one less thing. Whether it is meeting deadlines on time or handling the nitty-gritty details, you will never need to worry about additional headaches with a responsible designer on your side.
- Honesty comes into play here as the right designer will not be afraid of making a more feasible counter proposal – even if it means turning down one or two of your (unrealistic) ideas! An honest designer who has your best interests in mind will always propose practical solutions over fancy ones.
Interior Firm: Dyel Design
- Find a designer who you can form a positive, common connection with. Apart from making the whole experience enjoyable, a compatible partner will also make it easier to work on the shared goal of beautifying your home.
Given that there is a myriad of factors involved in choosing an interior designer, there may never be a truly perfect candidate. But there is a solution to this dilemma: choose the designer whom you are most comfortable with.
After all, compatibility is a commonly cited reason for choosing to work with a particular interior designer. Approximately 70 percent of homeowners whom we have interviewed mentioned that being able to see eye-to-eye was a key criteria behind their final decision. And frankly we couldn’t agree more.
Interior Firm: Fifth Avenue Interior
Let us help you find the right interior designer!
Request for quotes, and we'll match you with the best 5 interior firms based on your requirements. You will automatically be part of the Qanvast Trust Programme, and you can opt in for the $50,000 Qanvast Guarantee.