10 HDBs That Are Better Than Private Homes
Most people have typical impressions of HDB flats – boring, dull and unimaginative. But with some creativity and a personal touch, you can break the mould to have a visually stunning home with loads of character that doesn’t look and feel like a HDB at all. Check out these 10 homes that defy the stereotype with their stunning take on interior.
1. Clean, minimalist and cosy – this HDB is the ideal place to come home to after a long day with its mostly wood theme. You can’t help but feel at ease, especially when you’ve taken a relaxing shower in the Japanese-inspired bathroom.
Interior designer: Prozfile Design
Location: Marine Terrace
Cost of renovation: $77,000
2. Nothing like a black-meets-white interior to bring out an uptown chic feel in this HDB. Juxtapose it with vintage-y and antique details in furniture and you have a home that’s charming and stylish.
Interior designer: The Scientist
Location: Rivervale Crescent
Cost of renovation: $60,500
3. With quirky accessories and old-school furniture, this home exudes an almost Ernest-Hemingway hideout feel. Love the play on prints and patterns against solids for a modern touch. It’s all about the little details in this HDB that make it fab.
Interior designer: Third Avenue Studio
Location: Ubi Avenue
Cost of renovation: $62,000
4. With a cool collection of vintage keepsake, this HDB is a charm! Add on other antique-y home details like exposed pipes and louvres, and we have here a HDB flat that scores high on the design factor. Prints and patterns throughout add a fun element.
Interior designer: The Interior Lab
Cost of renovation: $42,000
5. There’s something about a bold feature wall that makes a space pop! Like here, the cobalt wall that gives this HDB an interior edge, especially when in contrast with cement slabs. A mostly industrial theme with open spaces and grey palette completes the sleek and edgy feel.
Interior designer: Fuse Concept
Location: Bendemeer Road
Cost of renovation: $65,000
6. This HDB definitely has that Upper East Side Manhattan elegance down with its beige palette, classy furniture and chic accessories. Everything comes together for an ultra-sophisticated effect.
Interior designer: Mr Shopper Studio
Location: McNair Road
Cost of renovation: $140,000
7. Go for less to get more! Like this minimalist HDB that’s all about having more space than more clutter for that easy breezy lifestyle. A cool grey and pastel palette in the living room gives it a dreamy approach. The makeshift “swing” is perfect as a cosy corner.
Interior designer: Reno Cube
Location: Waterway Cascadia
Cost of renovation: $60,000
RYOKAN AT HOME
8. Get inspired by the Japanese way of living – wood for that Zen approach and tatami rooms for a simplistic feel. You’ll definitely feel comfortable with this spacious approach to create a calm living environment.
Interior designer: D5 Studio Image
Location: Upper Serangoon View
Cost of renovation: $47,000
9. Wooden floors and clean structured lines give this home a classic look but with contemporary art pieces, it gets a nod up for that touch of personality. Love the sleekness combined in the bedrooms with the see-through walk-in wardrobe.
Interior designer: Space Atelier
Location: Saint George Road
Cost of renovation: $50,000
10. With its dark and swanky vibe, this HDB is killing it! The sleek furnishing with leather, wood and glass gives it an all-out metropolitan vibe. The kitchen is on trend with dark cupboards, while the living room's thin trellis-effect feature wall gives it a polished edge.
Interior designer: KDOT Associates
Cost of renovation: $80,000
Up Your Home Game!
Send us your request and we will match you with 5 trusted interior firms that can guide you on your renovation! All recommendations made by Qanvast will be protected under the Qanvast Guarantee scheme, up to S$50,000.
Not ready to renovate yet? Download the free Qanvast app from the App Store or Google Play to browse and save home ideas, costings and reviews of firms in Singapore. It's never too early to start your research.