Who's afraid of a little clutter? If you're a closet hoarder who's tired of trashing your mess just to fit into a minimalist decor - fret not, we feel you.
Besides, there's something uniquely charming about a home that looks completely lived in with its owner’s quips on display too; These five homes are proof that you can still gain beautiful order from chaos - with the right design.
1. The masterpiece of this home is definitely the library! It’s a book lover’s dream – and a great idea to emulate if you have tons of books in your collection. A well-thought out composition of shelves in various heights lend an offbeat style that looks casual and friendly. You can use spaces in the library to display art and other ornaments too – just like what this homeowner has done.
Architect: Studio JP
Cost of renovation: $250,000
2. Amassed an enormous amount of collectibles you just can't bear to stow away? Take notes from this homeowner and his whimsical Miffy figurines, displayed in the dining area and kitchen. Fun and unique collections like these add a child-like charm to an otherwise sophisticated house design, playfully breaking up the monotony. Don’t go overboard though; too much of a good thing can make your space look cliched.
Interior Designer: The Interior Lab
Location: Bukit Batok Central
Cost of renovation: $138,000
3. Minimalist is definitely not how you would describe this 3-bedroom HDB – especially with a busy-looking dining area that's chock full of furniture and light fixtures.
The key to creating an organised mess in your home is to go with similar colours, shapes and forms so that everything looks streamlined. Here, the kitchen and dining area are purposefully fitted with the same wooden furniture and finishings while the lights are somewhat alike in style, lending a coherent flow throughout.
Interior Designer: Urban Design House
Location: Compassvale Crescent
Cost of renovation: $55,000
4. Another condo with a stunning library! A library wall is a great way to introduce “mess” and create storage space for your random possessions or junk. Its clean, bold lines certainly draw attention, and is a great conversation starter when guests come to visit. Pick a corner for a built-in library, as seen in this condo, then giving it varying shelf height and sizes to inject character and personality.
Interior Designer: Liid Studio
Location: Shelford Green
Cost of renovation: $47,000
5. There are so many things we love about this “messy home”! For starters, the floor-to-ceiling library is the stuff that dreams for a bibliophile (bonus points for the ladder too!). Meanwhile, in the dining room, a levitated bar shelf is a hit during house parties, conveniently storing wine glasses and bottles. Add art pieces here and there with the right light fixtures, and you have a home filled with character and charm.
Interior Designer: De Exclusive Design Group
Location: Regentville Tower
Cost of renovation: $88,000
Speak To Trusted Interior Firms
Unsure how to plan and implement the same chic and functional design for your home? Send in your request and we will match you with 5 trusted interior firms for free. All recommendations made by Qanvast will be protected under the Qanvast Guarantee scheme, up to $50,000.
Not ready to renovate yet? Download the free Qanvast app from the App Store or Google Play to browse and save home ideas, costings and reviews of firms in Singapore. It's never too early to start your research.