Hobbyist Heaven: 11 Ways To Enjoy Your Passion At Home
There’s nothing more wonderful than filling your home up with the things you love. No matter how on-trend or snazzy the interior design may be, it is the little things – be it knick-knacks collected from travels or displays that tell a story of a person’s favourite pastime – that makes a space truly unique.
Here’s how some homeowners incorporated their hobbies and passions into their home décor, and transformed the space into a sanctuary for rest and play.
For drink connoisseurs
1. Elevate the pleasure of having a tipple at home by investing in a classic drink cabinet that will display any lovingly curated collection magnificently. Set up a stylish gentleman’s corner by anchoring the space with a leather armchair, and you’ll never have to head out to overpriced bars to truly enjoy a drink!
Interior designer: Versaform
2. With retractable cabinet doors, wine lovers have the option of having their collection on display, or concealed. This practical mechanism also prevents one from knocking into the doors when busy preparing food – a clever solution for kitchens with narrower layouts.
Interior designer: Asolidplan
For music jammers
3. Having the jamming studio enclosed in glass panels rather than solid walls not only visually expands the common area, but also adds a rocking edge to the living room! The natural light streaming into the studio also makes the long hours cooped up inside practicing or composing music feel less stifling.
Interior designer: Sky Creation Asia
4. For a grungier appeal, go for the loft look and include the jamming area in an open-plan layout. Anchor the space with a hide rug for an elegant touch, and complement it with mismatched furniture styles to create an eccentric and refreshing look for the living area.
Interior designer: The Scientist
5. Instead of racking your brains over storage solutions for bulky items such as musical instruments, why not let your hobby take centre stage and display them as décor instead? Wall-mounted guitar hangers are easy to install, and allow you to admire its beauty even when you’re not strumming it.
Interior designer: The Local INN.terior
For those who love a good read
6. Want to be literally surrounded by all your books? Create a cozy little reading nook framed by floor-to-ceiling shelves! This reading spot by the window is also ideal for slipping into a drowsy reverie while taking breaks from long reading sessions.
7. Turn a functional bookshelf into a visually stunning feature by styling it up – leave pockets of space between treasured tomes and display items such as porcelain accessories or interesting memorabilia to break up the monotony. Backless shelves can also double as a space-efficient room divider!
Interior designer: Architology
For movie buffs and game lovers
8. Graffiti walls, a wall filled with collectable merchandise, bean bags, and retractable projector screen for immersive gaming – this must be what a gamer’s heaven looks like! Having an entire room devoted to the sole purpose of gaming is already a luxury and commitment, so why not go all out with its decor?
Interior designer: Lux Design
9. Re-live the cinematic experience of your favourite films by creating an entertainment room that packs a punch. Having a semi-private soundproofed room enables the sound system to work its magic, and the black-out curtains enable the brilliance of screen to properly stand out.
Interior designer: Third Avenue Studio
10. All you need is a fully mirrored wall, and a room is instantly transformed into a dance studio! By knocking down part of the bedroom’s walls and replacing it with glass panels, more light is also reflected around in the room, which also enables the areas directly outside to look brighter and larger.
Interior designer: VOILA
11. Got a spare study room that you intend to use as a guest room? Opt for a sofa bed so that the space can also be freed up for other purposes when you’re not hosting anyone. Even a small space such as this can be used for pole dancing practice!
Interior designer: Third Avenue Studio
These homes truly depict the lifestyles and personalities of the homeowners. For more ideas on how to turn your space-consuming hobbies into decorative features, tap the brains of the IDs onboard Qanvast. Get connected with 5 suitable firms if you are collecting keys in the next six months here; it's complimentary and non-obligatory. All recommendations made by Qanvast are covered under the S$50,000 Qanvast Guarantee.