The Master Guide to Modernising the Rustic Farmhouse Style
It’s a rustic look without the tacky rooster accessories.
If the recent homes we’ve seen are anything to go by, the farmhouse design is making a comeback in Singapore. And it’s not difficult to see why either – the concept of idyllic living, of having sprawling spaces, and being surrounded picturesque sceneries, has somewhat always held an appeal for everyone.
To mirror that interest, interiors have taken on an open-concept layout whilst maintaining its rustic charm with paneling details, private nooks, and woven accents. The result? Farmhouse looks well-suited for modern homes – here’s proof!
1. You can’t call it a modern farmhouse home without some shiplap or paneling thrown in. And this Dover Crescent abode works it in masterfully. By using it in small doses in its dry kitchen and dining area, it imbues a sort of rustic charm without tipping into the overkill territory. The interiors are then finished off with contemporary elements, including black track lights and leather furniture, for a more balanced take!
Interior Firm: BLACK N WHITE HAUS
2. Paneling’s a great alternative to shiplap and you can get a consistent aesthetic by complementing that with shaker cabinets. To complete the look, we recommend throwing in lattice-designed glass doors or farmhouse sinks as well. Keep it all in one tone for a more modern and fresh approach!
3. You can even marry more elements to get that rustic-chic appeal! In fact, this Punggol Drive home is a classic example. Each space has its own hallmark: Wooden beams in the living room, subway tiles in the kitchen and shiplap in the bathroom. Because it’s all tastefully segregated, it never comes off as kitschy.
Interior Firm: The Local INN.terior 新家室
4. Of course, a modern farmhouse home also features plenty of wood elements. While sandy tones work nicely, a darker alternative creates a cosier atmosphere. Pair it up with vintage accessories or round-edged furniture, and you’ll get yourself a great retreat!
Interior Firm: Ethereall
5. Capitalise on that unblocked view with a window seat! Frame up the space with open shelves. Remember to work in some drawers for additional functionality. Complete the look with rustic textures in the form of linen throw pillows woven table runners, and you’ll have yourself a home that oozes country charm.
Interior Firm: Third Paragraph
6. Remember the good ol’ barn door? Not only does it bring farmhouse feels to your home, they’re always a clutch in tighter spaces. Use a lighter stained wood and have it blend in with the rest of your walls for a low-profile approach.
Interior Firm: Prozfile Design
7. Put a more whimsical spin on the concept. Carve out a nook for your books. Bring out a softer side with furnishings that have rounded-edges. Accent it with throw pillows, day curtains and use a warmer light for the complete cottagecore aesthetic.
Interior Firm: Hall Interiors
Modernise your favourite home styles!
Simply tell us your renovation requirements and we can get you personalised renovation quotes from five local interior design firms for free!
Also, when you engage an interior firm through our free recommendation service, you’ll enjoy attractive perks, such as the Qanvast Guarantee – a free initiative that safeguards up to $50,000 of your renovation deposits.
Yay, we're on Telegram! Follow us for the latest reno updates! 🙌