Where to Shop on Taobao For Not-So-Basic Furniture
With or without the e-retailer’s massive 11.11, 12.12. or even 1.1. sales (yes, take down those dates), furniture shopping on Taobao can be overwhelming to say the least.
Instead of finding needles in haystacks, let us help you zoom into the good ones! If you’re looking for something different (no IKEA lookalikes), stylish and of reasonable quality – we’ve rounded up 10 of our favourite Taobao stores for cool, not-so-basic homewares. Here’s to blowing the socks off family and friends!
1. For 'New' Mid-Century Mod Furniture: NASO（那所）
What They Sell: Storage cabinets, tables, home accessories and wall decor.
If a Wes Anderson movie set and The Great Gatsby had a baby, it’d probably be NASO (那所) ‘s mid-century modern (or retro?) pieces. Think sleek minimal lines with a healthy dash of OTT - and expect a whole load of brassy golds and coppers. Of course, it isn’t all show and no substance; buyers online have praised the shop’s speedy delivery and customer service.
1. Sunburst Mirror (RMB388/S$39) | 2. Shelving Unit (RMB588/S$121) | 3. Gold Storage Compartment (RMB799/S$164) | 4. Mobile Dining Cart (RMB699/S$144) | 5. End Table (RMB398/S$82)
What They Sell: Children's décor, room accessories, office stationery
Seriously inspired by Insta-mums @Livina and @Friska’s picture-perfect children’s rooms? Whether it’s for your future kid (or your inner one), OKNANA home has been in the business of selling stylish home accessories for 10 years and counting. Well rated with thousands of sales transacted on Taobao, we bet you’d want to add everything – from the felt cactus plants to giant paper bags - to cart.
1. Hanging Beaded Shelf (From RMB18.90/S$4) | 2. Woven Basket (From RMB18/S$3.70) | 3. Felt Cactus (From RMB29/S$6) | 4. Alphabet Light Box (From RMB28/S$5.80) | 5. Iron Circular Rack (From RMB5/S$1)
Interior Designer: Studio Fortyfour
3. For Bright Scandinavian Pieces (With A Pop of Colour): ZAOZUO Brand （造作品牌）
What They Sell: Tables, chairs, sofas, lighting, home décor, bedding
More a rainbow person than black-and-white? Offering a wide range cheery, clean-looking furniture, lighting and décor by a rotation of Scandinavian designers like Note Design Studio (Sweden), ZAOZUO is Taobao’s slightly more upscale answer to IKEA (without a burn in the pocket). Each of its well-designed, colourful pieces are still reasonably priced, ranging from a couple of hundreds (after conversion) for large pieces like sofas.
1. Coffee Table (From RMB999/S$205) | 2. Modular Shelving System (From RMB299/S$62) | 3. Portable Wardrobe-cum-End Table System (RMB599/S$123) | 4. Rounded Sofa (From RMB1299/S$267) | 5. Made Jellyfish Floor Lamp (RMB565/S$116)
4. For Rustic, MUJI-Style Furnishings: ZOMO （筑木）
What They Sell: Tables, chairs, bed frames, storage cabinets
With its pared-down, polished aesthetic, we are all suckers for a little MUJI in our lives. But admit it – things can get pretty costly! if you’re looking for something with a darker, more detailed twist, ZOMO might just be up your alley. The well-curated store stocks solid-wood timbered furnishings imported from Japan and Korea – all featuring an emphasis on natural, curved edges and lines.
1. Oval Walnut Table (From RMB1350/S$284) | 2. Japanese Style Rounded Wood Tables (From RMB210/S$43) | 3. Solid Wood Dining Table (From RMB1380/S$283) | 4. Solid Wood Windsor Chair (From RMB650/S$133.5) | 5. Wine Cabinet (From RMB2700/S$554)
5. For Edgy (But Sleek) Industrial-Style Furniture: TIEFAN （铁梵）
What They Sell: Tables, chairs, storage cabinets
Proving that the industrial look is well in style, we can already imagine an urban loft or bachelor apartment decked out in Tie Fan’s edgy, gritty furniture pieces! Featuring plenty of rusted metals, bleached woods and angular shapes, most buyers loved the quality make of each piece and its extremely accessible price point (Prices start at RMB188 (~S$39) for a wooden dining chair.
1. Edged Iron Table (RMB1656/S$340) | 2. Iron Solid Wood Dining Chair (RMB188/S$39) | 3. Industrial Style Bookshelf (RMB880/S$181) | 4. Buffet (RMB1080/S$222) | 5. Iron End Table (RMB388/S$82)
6. For Quality, Contemporary Living Pieces: MESSAGE
What They Sell: Sofas, armchairs, tables
Looking for the perfect coffee table or sofa to anchor your blank living space? If you haven’t got a clue where to start or what style you like, MESSAGE has got all the latest trending styles in its comprehensive range of affordable and stylish pieces. Velvet sofa? Check. Soft leather Chesterfields? Check that too. Top it off with the 7 year-old shop’s well-crafted coffee and end tables, and you’re good to go.
1. Leather Sofa (From RMB1680/S$345) | 2. Boxy Nordic Style Sofa (From RMB1280/S$263) | 3. Small Leather Sofa (From RMB748/S$154) | 4. Vintage Leather Ottoman (From RMB680/S$140)
Interior Designer: The Scientist
7. For One-of-a-kind Salvaged Vintage Pieces: MOGO （蘑菇空间）
What They Sell: Storage cabinets, chairs, home accessories and décor, lighting
Okay, while the shop’s cutesy namesake (literally ‘Mushroom Space’ in Chinese) seems like a big contrast from its offerings, MOGO’s vintage-style wares are some seriously stylish stuff. With some refurbished from decades old parts (they even have an old-school hospital screen up on sale) each standout MOGO piece is spiffed up with a modern finish, bringing a touch of history and industrial grit that can’t be found anywhere else.
1. Solid Wood Ironing Board (RMB1490/S$306) | 2. Brass Wrought Glass Cabinet (From RMB3200/S$656) | 3. Wrought Iron Hanging Rack (From RMB59/S$12.10) | 4. Aluminium Hand Accessory Holder (RMB220/S$45.12)
8. For Timbered Lights That Look Like Art Pieces: MuXiuYuan （木修远）
What They Sell: Lighting
‘Pretty’ is a huge understatement when it comes to this shop’s lighting offerings. Using woods as its main focus, Mu Xiu Yuan is a veritable specialist shop for timber-based light designs. Every piece is a work of art; think trippy, wavy-shaped chandeliers to post-modern, futuristic standing ring lights. Soon, you’d find yourself looking into the light (we won’t blame you).
1. Lotus Hanging Chandelier (From RMB240/S$50) | 2. Standing Ring Lights (From RMB550/S$113) | 3. Curved Hanging Lights (From RMB1750/S$359) | 4. Dog-Shaped Standing Lamp (RM190/S$38.97) | 5. Scalloped Hive Pendant Lamp (From RMB650/S$133)
Interior Designer: Habit
9. For Those Cool Neon Signs You See in Cafes: LoveStruck
What They Sell: Lighting, wall decor, accessories
You know, the fluorescent ones you see in café joints like Paddy Fields and Lepark (which sadly is closed) that make the perfect insta-shot. Now, LoveStruck is where you can find them all – from glowing texts to graphics. Buyers can opt to customize their own neon or LED lights (prices vary according to size and complexity); or simply check out the rest of the shop’s cool offerings, including wall decals and home accessories.
*Note: Reference image only. The store does not sell the actual piece shown here – only custom designs.
10. For Cosy Rugs That Suit Any Interior Style: AOKI Shop
What They Sell: Rugs, poufs, bedding and tapestries
Using a natural colour palette and simple, graphic motifs, AOKI shop’s star items are its timeless, evergreen rugs that work with almost any interior style. Thousands of positive reviews highlight how each AOKI product is well made and long-lasting, with some imported from countries like Belgium and India. But besides its signature carpets, the store stocks other soft furnishings, in the form of comfy pillows, bed sheets and cool wall tapestries.
1. Imported Hand-Woven Wool Carpet (From RMB1450/S$298) | 2. Wool Hand Woven Tapestry (RMB660/S$136) | 3. Solid Colour Wool Carpet (From RMB799/S$164) | 4. Patterned Pillow Case (From RMB20/S$4.10) | 5. Knitted Pouf (From RMB460/S$95)
11. For Botanical Print Everything: Our Arboretum
What They Sell: Cushions, rugs, shower curtains, textiles
Whether you’re absolutely sold on the Jungalow aesthetic or just love growing plants, extend your passion for greenery with this shop’s dedicated collection of botanical-print soft furnishings. Our favourites include the picturesque shower curtains (who knew they could look so sexy?) and cactus shaped cushions that bring a hint of quirky to one’s space.
1. Palm Print Shower Curtain (RMB117.30/S$24) | 2. Cactus Shaped Pillow (RMB189/S$39) | 3. Palm Print Curtain (RMB80.10/S$16.50) | 4. Botanical Print Blanket (RMB134.40/S$28) | 5. Botanical Print Bathroom Mat (RMB91.80/S$19)
Disclaimer: Prices are accurate as of 17 November 2017. Figures shown in Singapore Dollars (S$) are estimates based on current conversion rates.
Meet interior designers. Enjoy perks. Get quotes from reliable interior firms, recommended based on your requirements. Enjoy perks as part of the Qanvast Trust Programme. Get Free Quotes